The SunPower Foundation and One Million Lights have partnered together to launch an exciting new program that brings inspiring exercises, stories, and experiences about solar energy and its global application to classrooms in an effort to increase environmental awareness amongst the next generation.
The program builds upon the SunPower Foundation’s successful global energy education effort, 100 People Under the Sun, which was developed in partnership with the 100 People Foundation, based in New York.
Starting in the Bay Area, the One Million Students’ effort has completed an initial pilot program and will be further developed with the plan to expand into the rest of the US and around the world. The One Million Lights team along with SunPower employees will work with teachers to introduce the innovative program curriculum to local school children from K-12.
Key Features of the Program:
- The program aims to reach over a thousand schools in the next few years.
- The program integrates the SunPower Foundation’s signature global energy education effort, ‘100 People Under the Sun’ initiative with One Million Light’s mission of supporting awareness of solar lighting as a healthy alternative for energy around the globe.
- The program includes inspiring lesson plans that encompasses exercises, stories and experiences on solar energy.
Take-aways from the Program:
- Environmental education in the classroom for students in elementary, middle and high school as well as an introduction to the field of renewable energy and its impact on global issues.
- Grade-appropriate curriculum materials for schoolteachers to incorporate into their classes on subjects such as Environmental Studies, Math and Science.
- Educate and inspire students to make smart power choices and grow up to be environmentally conscious.
- Hands-on experience for students with fundraising and the distribution of solar LED lights to communities-in-need around the world.
One Million Lights
One Million Lights is a registered nonprofit with a mission to improve the daily lives of children and adults by providing clean and healthy solar lighting. Its goal is to distribute one million solar lights and replace dangerous and polluting kerosene lamps.
One Million Lights provides clean, safe, affordable solar lighting to rural communities around the world through its international distribution programs, made possible by partnerships and donations. These solar lights enable children to study at night and adults to extend their workday, all while eliminating carbon emissions, improving household health, and greatly increasing income savings.
For more information on One Million Lights, please visit www.onemillionlights.org
SunPower Foundation (funded by SunPower Corporation), seeks to create a future where sustainable, clean solar power is an essential component of the global energy mix. Its mission is to cultivate solar energy leaders, creating a call to action around the world through educational outreach and community participation in solar-energy projects and programs. The foundation funds nonprofits that inspire and motivate a new generation of solar-energy leaders to learn and take action within their communities at a local and global level.
For more information about the SunPower Foundation visit www.sunpower.org